I'm getting some good feedback to a nascent effort to get some sort of bike accommodations striped on Beacon Street along the Chestnut Hill Reservoir.
It seems like an easy and valuable win for the City of Boston.
- The stretch of Beacon is plenty wide, even near Cleveland Circle where there's resident parking.
- Along a reservoir is a good place to promote biking.
- It is a well-used bike commuting route.
- While a short stretch, it would connect to and extend Brookline's good work on Beacon Street.
- It would connect BC into Brookline's bike-friendly Beacon.
- It would nicely tie into Newton's efforts to make Beacon bike-friendlier.
The timing couldn't be more right. Mayor Menino has pledged to improve biking in Boston. The DCR has a project on the boards to improve access to and the paths within the reservation itself. Bike accommodations on Beacon (which is Boston's in that stretch) would be a nice complement. The near completion of the Waterworks construction seems to promise at least a partial repaving effort.