It's Bike Month!
Newton Bicycle/Pedestrian Task Force Chairman George Kirby has organized a Safe-Rider Convoy to celebrate Bike Day (May 16), which wraps up Bay State Bike Week. Enjoy a leisurely ride from City Hall (Newton) to City Hall (Boston) through Watertown Square and then along the Charles.
View Larger Map
Of course, there's Newton Rides on May 18th.
And, here at NS&S, we'll be talking bike commuting all month long. Let's start with why.
There are so many good reasons, it's hard to know where to start. I commute from Newton Centre to Kendall Square (about 8 miles) and back every day. For me, bike commuting is:
- Faster than any other commuting option door-to-door
- An hour each day of vigorous exercise without sacrificing work or family time
- A great opportunity to clear my head
- Ease the carbon-spewing and gas-guzzling by 20%
- Enjoy some physical activity, however mild or spirited
- Save a few bucks (unless you've already got a monthly T pass)
- See your world from a different perspective
In the coming days, some how tips. Key words to look forward to:
- Baby wipes
- Leave your lock