This is a rough idea of what I proposed for Route 9 and Winchester/Centre Street. Click on the picture for a larger version.
- Add a Two-Way Left Turn Lane, like what's on various parts of Needham Street.
- Add an island on the westbound ramp. (It's the triangle on the top.) The purpose of this island is two-fold:
- Create a single lane for turning left. You'd be amazed how often aggressive drivers will go around a waiting car's right than turn left across the front of the waiting car.
- Create a pedestrian refuge.
- Add an island on the eastbound ramp. (It's the diamond on the bottom.) This island also has two purposes:
- Create a a pedestrian refuge.
- Manage conflicting traffic at the bottom of the ramp.
The diagram doesn't show the improvements to sidewalks— especially the crummy sidewalk on the existing island on the east side of Centre Street—and narrowing the Curtis Street intersection.Previously:
More Needham Street (area) thoughts
Alderman Fischman on Needham Street